Date:      Fri, 15 Apr 2011 12:30:57 +0300
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        mdf@freebsd.org
Cc:        Gleb Kurtsou <gleb.kurtsou@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: posix_fallocate(2)

--HuXIgs6JvY9hJs5C

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 03:41:30PM -0700, mdf@freebsd.org wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Gleb Kurtsou <gleb.kurtsou@gmail.com> wr=
ote:
> > On (14/04/2011 12:35), mdf@FreeBSD.org wrote:
> >> For work we need a functionality in our filesystem that is pretty much
> >> like posix_fallocate(2), so we're using the name and I've added a
> >> default VOP_ALLOCATE definition that does the right, but dumb, thing.
> >>
> >> The most recent mention of this function in FreeBSD was another thread
> >> lamenting it's failure to exist:
> >> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2010-February/059268.=
html

> >> The attached files are the core of the kernel implementation of the
> >> syscall and a default VOP for any filesystem not supporting
> >> VOP_ALLOCATE, which allows the syscall to work as expected but in a
> >> non-performant manner. =9AI didn't see this syscall in NetBSD or
> >> OpenBSD, so I plan to add it to the end of our syscall table.
> >>
> >> What I wanted to check with -arch about was:
> >>
> >> 1) is there still a desire for this syscall?
> > It looks not to play well architecturally with modern COW file systems
> > like ZFS and HUMMER. So potentially it can be implemented only for UFS.
>=20
> The syscall, or the dumb implementation?  I don't see why the syscall
> itself would be a problem; presumably ZFS can figure out whether an
> fallocate() block is worth COWing or not...
>=20
> >> 2) is this naive implementation useful enough to serve as a default
> >> for all filesystems until someone with more knowledge fills them in?
> > Maillist ate the patch. Only man page attached.
>=20
> Whoops!
>=20
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mdf/bsd-fallocate.diff

New syscall symbols for 9.0 should go in under FBSD_1.2 version, not FBSD_1=
.0.

You have inconsistent spacing in the kern_posix_fallocate().

I do not quite understand the locking for vnode you did.
You marked the vop as taking and returning unlocked vnode. But, you
do call VOP_GETATTR in the vop std implementation before locking the vnode.
Did you tested with DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS config ?

Usual (and proper) practice is to have such vop require locked vnode, in
case of VOP_ALLOCATE, exclusive lock is appropriate. The Giant dance and
vn_start_write() + vn_lock() go into kern_posix_fallocate() then.
Also, you should call bwillwrite() before taking any vfs locks.

Is locking/unlocking the vnode in loop is done to allow other callers
to perform i/o on the vnode in between ? In particular, to truncate it ?
I think this is not needed, and previous suggestion would take care of it.

Why do you need stdallocate_extend() ? VOP_WRITE does the right thing
with extending the vnode.

You might find vn_rdwr easier to use then the bare vops. In particular,
it would not omit the mac calls for read/write.

--HuXIgs6JvY9hJs5C

--HuXIgs6JvY9hJs5C--