Date:      Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:05:11 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ben Haysom <ben.haysom@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Unclean Reboot For No Apparent Reason

On Saturday 12 March 2005 08:51 pm, Joshua Tinnin
<krinklyfig@spymac.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 12 March 2005 07:59 am, Ben Haysom <ben.haysom@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:33:45 -0600, Vulpes Velox
> > <v.velox@vvelox.net>
> wrote:

> > > Memory tests only proove that that the memory is good, not that
> > > the hardware the ram is connected to is good. The same for
> > > cpuburn. The best stress test is running a make buildword, a make
> > > install for scilab, and a find /. If that does not do it, it is
> > > most likely a intermitently flakey power supply.
> >
> > those things  do not do it.
> > but the maachine is always on and only ever resets during
> > portupgrade -a. every  time.
>
> Well, you might try logging the output and seeing if it's failing at
> the same point each time - try it more than once, logging to two
> different files. If it is, then you have a pretty good idea what's
> going on. If not, it's probably a hardware problem (though possibly
> not).

Sorry, that sounds vague ... If it fails at the same point each time,
you will have a good idea what's going on from where it's failing, and
in that case it's probably a software problem of some sort. If it's not
rebooting when you stress the hardware as with the above tests (like
buildworld), it's probably not a hardware problem, but if portupgrade
-a is failing at random points, then it could still be
hardware-related.

- jt