Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 1997 21:59:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        smp@csn.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: usable current SNAP

Greg Lehey said:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 1997 at 06:55:43PM -0600, Steve Passe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to bring up a web server this week using current.  This needs to
> > be a "works first time" installation (to impress a client).
>
> I don't understand this.  This is *not* the purpose of -current.  To
> quote:

(good comments from Greg deleted)

> If you want to impress a customer, I would have thought that -stable
> would be a much better choice.

The only point that I might disagree with you on is that there are times
that there are necessary features in -current.  Basically, with -current
the person who uses it is on their own.  Hopefully, those who use it don't
end up giving FreeBSD a bad reputation because of the pre-Alpha/Alpha/Beta
quality of the code.  Important features would be practically the only
reason for violating the "rule."  -stable and -current aren't that far
away in performance (it isn't like 2.1 vs. 2.2.), 2.2 and 3.0 are pretty
close.

My opinion is that those who use -current in production get absolutely
no sympathy from me (or most others on the team.)  However, some people
who are actively contributing to FreeBSD get quite a bit more leeway (I am
willing to go further out of my way to help) than others.  (They are more
likely to understand the state of the code, and are generally willing and
able to help us all more in solving problems that they encounter.)

But, in general, I agree that it is not a very good idea to use -current
in production without understanding that the support issues are significant.
The FreeBSD group of developers are already overloaded, and simply do not
need the additional problems of supporting -current.

There is very little more irritating than to be coerced to fix a bug that
isn't ready to be fixed yet.

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org