Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:46:51 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple Promise controllers

Attila Nagy wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > This brings me to my final option: has anybody managed to mix IDE
> > controller cards successfully?  What cards are good for this?
> Quoting Soren Schmidt:
>
> Q: "Is it possible to use multiple Promise ATA-100 cards in one machine?
>    If yes, how much?"
> A: "Yes, you should be able to use as many as you have PCI slots for.
>    I have made systems with 3 promises with no problems."

With DMA though?  :)  FreeBSD is happy to run the card, in PIO mode...

> And: "Well, I would buy HPT370 based cards, like the Abit hotrod100, the
> HPT370 chip is a far better design than the promise, and gives better
> performance."
>
> So I think it is possible to use more than two Promise ATA cards, but the
> HPT 37x is the preferred way, by the ATA-driver author.

Thanks!  That's exactly the info I was looking for.  Where did you find
this
FAQ by the way?  I never found anything even remotely like it when
searching
through google.  I'm sure it's someplace obvious. :)

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer