Date:      Sat, 20 May 2000 16:36:38 -0400
From:      James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Manual Set

I asked about this five months ago, but I would like to take a fresh start
on this.

The 4.4BSD manuals are completely unavailable (Amazon and Barnes and Nobel
cannot locate them).  This is not all bad since they are getting more out
of date every day.

So how about updating them?  Simply updating the manual pages should not
take a lot since the manpages themselves should have been updated with
each source change (in theory, they should each be checked).  Sure, the
online stuff is great, but when I try to scribble notes on them, I just
scratch my monitor.  :)

However, the supplementary documents are out of date (FreeBSD does not
ship Berkeley Pascal; I am not sure how relevant the 4.4BSD kernel
building is; Jove is no longer shipped; Rand MH is no longer shipped),
encumbered (YACC, Lex, SED, AWK, etc.).  Or worse (how much has vi
changed?  I do not know, I am not a big vi user; What about
trex?  Rogue?  dc and bc are out of date and encumbered!).

So there are three different route that can be taken on this
front:  (1)  Drop the supplementary documents,  (2)  Update the
supplementary documents to be current, or (3)  Start again from scratch.

While each has a number of advantages, a combination of 2 and 3 would be
nice.  Update the vi manual and the IPC documents.  Write new documents on
configuring FreeBSD as a router or a webserver, stuff on the Ports tree,
etc, how to make a Port, update the kernel config docs.  Anything anyelse
thinks might be nice should go in here.  In fact, DaemonNews and the
FreeBSD Ezine can be bled for articles and new articles can be "Beta
Tested" there.

Well, having now suggested this project, I should probably volunteer.  So
I will volunteer to act as a writer, an editor, or as a project leader
(which probably means lots of writing and editing) if asked.  All I need
to know are two things:  (1)  Is this worth it?  A good idea?  And
(2) What do I do next?

Thank you, J~