Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 08:13:52 +0600 (ALMT)
From:      Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MSDOS FS and flock?

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Thank you very much for that patch.
> > I will give it a try.
> > As it does not look esoteric, is there a reason why it is not
> > in -CURRENT?
>
> It's really the wrong approach going forward, since it means that
> the work has to be duplicated (with the possibility of error) for
> each and every VFS that is ever implemented.

	It is not a "little detail", but a normal vnode operation. It is
up to filesystem author/maintainer to decide which operations should be
implemented and which not. In this particular case there is no code
duplication other than wrapper to standard function. Of course, if this
patch going to be committed, then vop_stdadvlock() should be introduced.

> If you get into it in any detail, you'll see that root mounts
> aren't supported on many VFS types, either, and that there are
> similar caveats elsewhere (like the special device, named pipe,
> socket, and FIFO ownership and permissions issues I noted before).

	Indeed, but evolution of VFS is not finished :)

--
Boris Popov
http://www.butya.kz/~bp/