Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:13:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Andy Kohtz <andrew@kohtz.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fsck wont clean file system

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Andy Kohtz wrote:

> 	I have encountered something that seems to defy all of my
> knowledge ... and general sense too.  Fsck isn't cleaning the file
> systems.
>
> 	I have tried running fsck in single and multi user mode with the
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Never run fsck in multiuser mode.  It won't fix anything.

> file system mounted or unmounted but nothing seems to change the outcome.
> The most informative message I have gotten out of it yet simply states:
>
> >***** FILE SYSTEM STILL DIRTY *****
> >
> >***** PLEASE RERUN FSCK *****

Run 'fsck -y' in single user mode, and KEEP running it until it comes
clean.

> 	The file system is never modified and the frags never go away ...
> no matter how many times I have re-run fsck.

frags are fragmented blocks.  The only thing that can fix that is a backup
& restore.  It's not a problem unless it's really high, like 20%.

Doug White