Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 00:13:34 -0400
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stock Offering (IPO)

>> These are probably people who were suckered into buying a CDROM
>> from Cyberpromo or some other shady company.
>In my experience, 50%+ of spammers are in the exact same category.
>I've said it before, but it is the *providers* of the spammer service
>who need to be attacked, not (necessarily) the spammers themselves.
>They are outright crooks.

But what would be an effective way to attack the spammer providers?
For the next five years, they are going to be able to find ignorant
marketroids to buy their serivces, even if the entire Internet blocks
their mail.  Spamming them back is fuitile; that only gets the site
blocked, and then other (more rational) complaints don't work.

Mind you, presently the CyberBomber has easily blocked headers:
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 00:13:44 -0400 (EDT)

Other spammers can be similarly blocked as a temporary measure.  But I
prefer to keep cyberpromo and other such things out of our world.

Happy hacking,
jelh

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
All my opinions are my own, not the Free Software Foundation's.

Second law of programming:
Anything that can go wrong wi
sendmail: segmentation violation -- core dumped