Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 2013 21:00:52 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        bsd-lists@hush.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: When will subversion be ready for updating/upgrading src && ports?

--vDpQvD79HZx/5O2q

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 08:38:07PM -0700, bsd-lists@hush.com wrote:
> svn checkout svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head /usr/ports
>=20
> I then performed a portmaster -a

Prior to updating installed ports, review of ports/UPDATING is more than
just a good idea.

> which left me with a non-working X desktop.
> Turned out to be a problem with the Nvidia driver -- was 2.9.40, now 3.10=
=2E14.
> But loading it in loader.conf didn't create /dev/nvidia0, or /dev/nvidiac=
tl

I am using nvidia-driver-310.44_1 successfully.

> To make a long story short, I attempted to update my src && ports, and tr=
y agaiin;
>=20
> svn update svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head /usr/ports
> FAILED! I don't have the exact output

Is /usr/ports a real directly, or a symlink?  (In my case, it is a
symlink, so I needed to take a bit of evasive action after I updated svn
to 1.8.)

> So I tried:
> cd /usr/ports
> svn update
> Which replied:
> svn: E155036: Please see the 'svn upgrade' command
> svn: E155036: The working copy at '/usr/ports'
> is too old (format 29) to work with client version '1.8.0 (r1490375)' (ex=
pects f
> ormat 31). You need to upgrade the working copy first.
>=20
> So I guess subversion isn't (yet) designed for this sort of stuff,

That's a fairly classic non sequitur.

I only have logs for the last year of using SVN to perform 2
update/build/smoke-test cycles/day for each of a couple of machines
-- 1 set for stable/9; the other for head.  I also update the
installed ports under stable/9 (daily).  (The two machines are my
laptop and a "build machine.")  And then I actually use the resulting
stable/9 snapshot on my laptop for day-to-day activities -- until
the next day, when it's "lather, rinse, repeat."

Then there are few machines I only update weekly.

Regarding the "svn: E155036: Please see the 'svn upgrade' command ..."
message, that means that because you updated svn (probably from 1.7 to
1.8), you need to use the "svn upgrade" command on your
previously-created working copies in order to use the new svn command on
them.

> which leaves me with a useless box. :(
>=20
> Thank you for all your time, and consideration.

Always set things up so you have a usable fallback.  Whether that's by
making backups and restoring from them or some other mechanism, that's
up to you.  (I tend to set machines up to be able to boot from multiple
slices, which can be a suitable strategy, but it's certainly not as easy
as falling off a log.)

You may see my more recent update history on an assortment of machines
at <http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/history/>.

Peace,
david
--=20
Taliban: Evil men with guns afraid of truth from a 14-year old girl.

--vDpQvD79HZx/5O2q

--vDpQvD79HZx/5O2q--