Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:03:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        jgrosch@mooseriver.com
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD emulation for linux

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Josef Grosch wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 10:34:07AM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> > At 09:28 AM 3/23/99 -0800, Josef Grosch wrote:
> >
> > >I assume this means that you are going to stop talking and start writing
> > >this emulator. Great, I can't wait to see what you produce. Please build it
> > >and prove us all wrong.
> >
> > Well, I'd be glad to -- but it'd be a Quixotic endeavor without help. Care
> > to get involved?
>
> Sorry, my plate is full but I'm sure there are lots of people who will
> help. Try getting some of the Linux people involved. Since this emulator
> will be running on Linux you will need at least one person who has a good
> understand of the guts of a Linux system. I think there is a book on Linux
> Internals. It should be interesting on how you resolve the BSD/GPL
> licensing issues with a FreeBSD emulator running on a Linux system.

Well, they already have the SCO and DU emulators so those would probably
be a good place to start..  And I think that Linus (but not RMS and his
coven) are a bit more tame about binary only kernel modules, so I assume
that if you're not actually cutting and pasting code you could (without
huge riots) release a BSD licensed fbsd emulator... if worse came to worse
you could GPL it easily enough (just mention the UCB copyright and
that should suffice, right?..)..

> Put up a mailing list and a web page. Get yourself a scratch monkey of a
> machine and you are on your way.

This is probably the most difficult part.  I'd be willing to put in some
effort (say a few hours/month), but I don't have space for Linux on my
box.

- alex