Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2017 17:34:05 +0200
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Reporting missing calls.....

Hi,

I spent the larger part of the weekend finding out why my ceph daemons
were crashing without much logging, tracebacks or cores...

Turns out I got bitten by the fact that 11.1 does introduce fdatasync,
which is used by ceph. Compilation is on a server that I also test the
RC's on, so there fdatasync was available.
But the jails were not upgraded, and missed fdatasync.
So that is definitely a pilot error on my end.

But it would have helped me enormously if the late binding error got
logged in something like /var/log/messages.... Especially since these
are daemons, which can for quite some time before a call to fdatasync is
made, it took me quite some time to actually run the daemon in the
foreground and see this little pesky line about missing fdatasync.

Would it be hard to add this to the code, or did I just mis other signs?

--WjW