Date:      Tue, 04 Aug 2009 08:33:08 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu>
Cc:        skv@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recent update causes perl5.10 build failure

Scott Bennett wrote:

>      Keep in mind that this experience did appear to reveal a portmaster bug.
> After the "portmaster -w -v -a" had already asked whether to rebuild perl5.8
> even though it had a +IGNOREME file and had gotten an enter key in response,
> which should have selected the "n" shown as the default ("[n]"), it later
> went ahead and built perl5.8 anyway.  From what you and the documentation
> have told me, that should never happen.

I don't think it can happen if the build of all the dependencies is
under portmaster's control. However there are edge cases when
dependencies don't show up when portmaster polls the port for the list
but the ports infrastructure builds them anyway. I'd have to look at a
log of the whole session to be sure.

Having both perl5.8 and perl5.10 installed at the same time is kind of
an odd configuration, and could very well produce the kind of edge
case I described above.

hope this helps,

Doug