Date:      Tue, 04 Aug 1998 22:06:11 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAM4FreeBSD

> ... and if you want my pet peeve about PAM, it's that the modules
> have to be visible and loadable in to the application that wants to
> authenticate/admin/etc.
>
> The "right" way (IMHO) to deal with this would be to take a clean
> slice across the PAM API (which is reasonably compact), encapsulate
> it into a nice simple synchronous stream protocol, and then put
> all the PAM library into a daemon.  Use our authenticated socket
> technology and Unix-domain sockets to ensure the integrity of the
> client-server relationship.
>
> This would allow lots of programs (eg. passwd, xlockmore) to be
> installed non-setuid root, since they only ever authenticate their
> owner.  It would also let you run eg. POP daemons non-setuid-root if
> they were granted permission to authenticate, etc.

I agree with you -- this is the way to go.

> Anyway, that's my major gripe about PAM as it stands.  That, and the
> lousy quality of most of the free-source modules out there. 8(

Man, that's no lie!  I couldn't convince myself comfortably that any
of the ones in the Linux-PAM distribution would work right under
FreeBSD.  I ended up rolling my own.

There are lots of things about the exising implementation that
rather stink.  But as you said, the API isn't too bad.