Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:13:55 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        Francis Whittington <fewjr@adelphia.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: just finished install

--On Saturday, March 19, 2005 12:32 PM -0500 Francis Whittington
<fewjr@adelphia.net> wrote:

> Hello All,
>     I just finished installing fbsd for the 8th time. I just want to get
> it up and running so I can start learning to use it . I have not gotten X
> to work yet on the bsd box yet....except when I used an old 4MB card. But
> X was too slow. Here is my setup now:     My main computer is WinXP
> (because the rest of the family uses it). It is connected to Adelphia
> cable modem via a D-Link, DI-524 wireless router. My Daughter is
> connected to internet via the WLAN. My freeBSD box is connected to modem
> via a crossover cable. bsd box has 96MB of RAM, Riva-TNT 16MB videocard
> on a intel 440 EX MoBo.     I was going to use the bsd box as a
> router/firewall, but i don't know enough yet...so it is just a stand
> alone station. My problem right now is that I want to be able to see the
> rest of the network from the bsd box. I cannot ping the other 2 machines.
> And without X, I am not sure what to use to see if I am hitting internet
> with it. Yeah...I know i'm a newbie.
> any thoughts _______________________________________________

A few.  Pick up a good book on Unix and start reading.  Go online and read
networking HOW-TO documents.  Pay particular attention to the networking
sections that explain how to set up network cards, gateways and routes.
You don't need X to run the box *if* you know and understand the commands.
Ifconfig will tell you the condition of your networking - whether or not a
card is "up", what its settings are.  Read the man page for rc.conf.  You
configure your cards there.  If you're connected directly to the same modem
that the Win XP box is connected to, you *should* be able to see the Win XP
box if you have your network set up correctly.

X is an whole 'nother kettle of fish, even for experienced folks.  See if
you can find a friend who knows X well enough to get you started.  You can
run x86config from the commandline and often get X working well enough to
start it up, but you'll really need help to get it working right until
you've got a little more experience under your belt.

Join a local users group, if you can find one.  Even a Linux users group
would help.  There isn't that much difference between most *nix OSes wrt
the basic settings and how they work.

It's going to take some reading and work to get going, but it's well worth
it.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas