Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 12:53:21 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Andreas Pleschutznig <andy@ple.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS Passwords?

>Currtenly it seems to me that the passwords stored in /etc/master.passwd are not
>encrypted using the same mechanisms as when you use NIS and
>/var/yp/master.passwd.
>
>If I clear a passwd in /etc/yp/master.passwd and then create a new one using
>yppasswd everything is fine and that user can log in on the NIS clients, but if
>I don't do that the users cannot log in on the clients.
>
>This is especially nasty as I do have a lot of users on my system which are
>already happy if they can cann the difference between word and netscape, and
>having them log in and reset their passwords is a pain in the butt. Are ther any
>possibilities to get passwords in the standard /etc/master.passwd file
>'compatible' to /var/yp/master.passwd?

Well you didn't answer the questions I asked you last night which were
aimed in this direction, but it sounds like perhaps you have NIS clients
of different OS's in your (NIS) domain.  That's ok, but in order for it
to work they all have to use the same encryption method.  FreeBSD
defaults to MD5, while most(?) others default to DES.  So you need to
install DES encryption to make them all play together.  It's in the
sysinstall menus.

-Mitch