Date:      Sat, 28 Feb 1998 06:52:54 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        brian@worldcontrol.com
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: private mbone setup?

> I'd like to setup a private mbone, or basically I would like to
> do the following:
>
> run vic on one computers and record the session on another using
> mbone_vcr.  I think I've got everything setup right however
> the sessions I create on sdr are not appearing on the sdr
> running on the other computer.

somebody suggested using

	route add 224.0.0.0 -netmask 0xf0000000 -interface {de0|ed0|lo0|tun0}

where you put the right name for the interface to use for multicast
traffic.

remember that sdr annountcements are sent every so often (not sure
about the rate) so it might take some time if you miss one to see the
next one. A better way to test things is just to start a vic sender and
receiver on known addresses and see if packets get through.

another thing to keep in mind is the behaviour of the mbone tools
when a send/sendto fails: in some cases (e.g. vic and vat) a
permanent error status was retained on the socket preventing further
sends.  Bill Fenner has both a kernel patch (since the problem is
there) and application patches to fix this problem. You should
check what happens on other tools such as sdr.

	cheers
	luigi