Date:      Tue, 26 May 2009 10:56:43 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portmaster overzealous on distfiles?

On Tue, 26 May 2009, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 26/05/2009 19:31 Andriy Gapon said the following:
>> I run the following command to upgrade from audacious 1.5.* to
>> 2.0.*: $ portmaster audacious\*

FYI, the \* at the end of that is not necessary. If the command line
argument doesn't match a specific port it is treated as a glob pattern.

>> This starts to build three ports: audacious, audacious-plugins,
>> audacious-skins. At the end of audacious upgrade portmaster asked
>>  me if I want to delete not only the older distfile of audacious
>> but also about the newer one, and the one for audacious-skins.
>
> After the above upgrade I re-run the command again (forceful
> upgrade, so to say) and, again, after upgrading audacious port
> portmaster asked me if I want to delete new-and-only distfiles for
> other two ports.

If the various distfiles all start with audacious-* then portmaster
will ask you about them. I have gone back and forth in my mind about
hiding that code behind an option now that I have fairly effective
mechanisms in place to handle distfile stuff without resorting to the
glob matching. The reason I haven't done it yet is that cases like you
describe are actually fairly rare, and easily overcome with a
combination of the -D option and the --clean-distfiles option later on
at your convenience.

The course of action that I've basically settled on at this point is
rather than actually asking you if you want to remove the glob-match
distfiles to issue a suggestion to try the --clean-distfiles option at
some point in the future, which seems like a happy medium to me. As
soon as I get time to do it anyway. :)

hope this helps,

Doug