Date:      Sat, 24 May 1997 09:04:33 +0900 (JST)
From:      hosokawa@ntc.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, hosokawa@ntc.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: cd9660 w/ Joliet extensions

In article <19970524003440.QC44104@uriah.heep.sax.de>
j@uriah.heep.sax.de writes:

>> Also my guess.  Or simply ignorance: ``Oh, there is already a standard
>> for long filenames?  But how could this be, since they have only been
>> introduced into the world by Windows[TM] NT and Windows[TM] 95.''

:-).

Actually, I thinks that the reason why Micorsoft does not use RR is,
that RR is not only a spec for long filenames on CD-ROM.  It supports
UID, GID, owner/group permissions, executable attributes, deeper
pathnames, symbolic links, etc.  These features are strongly depends
on UNIX architecture.

I have a question about the relation between Joliet and RR.

  o Does Joliet coexist with RR on one iso9660 filesystem?

	I'm happy if I can browse FreeBSD live filesystem with longer
	filenames from Windows 95 or NT.

BTW, I think WC's FreeBSD CD-ROM should be utilize Windows 95 because
it's the most popular CD-ROM browser :-), and it is installed on most
PC's.  I added an "\AUTORUN.INF" on Japanese version of FreeBSD
CD-ROM.  It displays daemon icon on CD-ROM drive in "My Computer" and
add following menu items on "right click" submenu of CD-ROM icon.

o execute notepad to read README.TXT, HARDWARE.TXT, and INSTALL.TXT.

o create boot.flp (of course El Torito works great, but this menu is
  useful on non-El Torito BIOS PC's).

--
HOSOKAWA, Tatsumi
Network Technology Center