Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 2003 17:30:59 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel panic on 4.7-STABLE to 5.0 RC2 upgrade.

"Bruce A. Mah" wrote:
> > > RC2 has additional changes, above and beyond a simple date tag
> > > (see other post; I believe it was managed in P4,
>
> 5.0-RC2 was assembled out of CVS, not P4.  Terry, please check your
> facts before posting.

My bad; this was already corrected by another poster, who pointed
out that P4 was used for the "developer prereleases", but that the
RC was out of the CVS tree.  I didn't think it needed pointing out
again, but if you do... "The RC2 was cut from the CVS tree".

> > > and you could
> > > use _that_ to recover it).  A tag, in this case, would only be
> > > useful if the other RC2 changes (string changes, hacks to suppress
> > > known bugs, etc., mostly) were made in a branch off the tag, in
> > > the main source tree, rather than in P4.
>
> Once again, 5.0-RC2 didn't have a darn thing to do with P4.  I'm also
> unaware of any "other RC2 changes".

I was under the impression that the version string carried "RC2" in
it; I'm willing to be mistaken.  I thought there were also manual
additions to the CDROM, such that it wasn't a pure "built from source
tree" thing.

> > > My personal approach would be to use the souce tree from disk #2
> > > (if one was made for the 5.0-RC2 distributions)
> >

> > 5.0-RC2-i386-disc1.iso contains 75M of compressed src/
> > 5.0-RC2-i386-disc2.iso /usr/src is empty.
>
> Disk #1 should have various compressed subtrees of src/ compressed (for
> use by sysinstall).  Those should work well.  What Terry may be
> referring to is the fact that for full releases, disk #2 usually
> contains a compressed copy of the CVS repository.

Yes, and yes.  The CVS tree on disk #2 is a compressed snapshot of
the source tree at the time.  It's much more useful than the sources
on disk #1, both because you have to know what you are doing to use
the source on disk #1, and because you can CVSup it, get a relatively
small delta (so it doesn't take a long time), and pick up any fixes
that happened after the RC2 was cut.

For example, Kirk checked in a UFS panic fix right after RC2 was
cut, that might be the panic in this thread.  There's no way to
know, though, until the person with the panic repeats their panic
during upgrade into the kernel debugger, and asks it where the
panic happened.

Basically, we are getting into all this esoteric stuff because
someone has a bug that the rest of us can't repeat, and the only
way it's going to get fixed is if the person seeing it does some
extra work.

Arguably, for releases, there should probably be an image on the
CDROMs that would never fit on a floppy, and has the debugger on
it, with symbols in the kernel, to let people debug things like
this.  I expect if that ever happens, it won't be the default
distribution, anyway.

In any case, that's what we've been telling the guy to build, in
order to debug his upgrade problem.

-- Terry