Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:41:39 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Greg Fausak <lgfausak@august.net>, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BPF usage questions

Greg Fausak wrote:

> I am writing my first netgraph nodes.
>
> I need a mux node and a demux node.
>
> For simplicity, the mux node will combine 2 independant
> channels and round robin the packets.  The demux node
> will simply receive packets on multiple channels and
> serialize them.

Archie already wrote this I think..

If you want to play with it, here is the current version:

  ftp://ftp.whistle.com/pub/archie/netgraph/ng_one2many.tgz

> The purpose is to bond multiple ethernet connections between
> two points.  I envision creating 2 udp tunnels and using the
> mux node to feed and demux to bring back together.

Archies does N arbitray links.
(and it has a man page etc....)

> I haven't built any netgraph code yet.  Can someone give me some
> pointers?  I've examined many different sources, some are fairly
> complex and some are real simple.  I regard this as a fairly simply node.
> Perhaps 3 hooks (upstream, link1, link2).
>
> Once I get it to work in a primitive fashion I would like to
> add control features, like:
> * only use link2 if packets can't get through link1
> * force load balancing based upon theoretical link rates like
>   speed, latency.
> * calculate load balancing, so dialup, isdn, dsl and t1 can be
>   bonded.
>
> I'm looking for a real easy way to get started.
> Any practical hints would be appreciated.

Start with archies code and add the stuff you want (control etc.) :-)

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org