Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 16:51:13 -0400
From:      Josh Levine <joshl-ng@levindustries.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems with natd and ipfw

Hi!  I originally sent this question to freebsd-ipfw, but I think now
that might have been the wrong choice.

For the past several hours, I've been struggling to get NAT working.  I
have two NIC cards - ed0 is connected to the internet, and rl0 is
connected to my local hub.

I've followed the directions at several sites, including:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/natd.html

But no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to work...natd wasn't even
showing up when I ran ps ax.  I could ping the server's external IP
address from a computer connected to the hub - just couldn't get to the
internet.

The only error message I saw was after it listed the rules, it said:
"Firewall rules loaded, starting divert daemons: natdnatd: aliasing
address not given" (a google search doesn't seem to turn up anything
useful).

I am using the stock /etc/rc.firewall file, with firewall_type="OPEN"

Finally, from reading the man page for natd, I tried the following from
the console:

natd -interface ed0
/sbin/ipfw -f flush
/sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via ed0
/sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any

and it worked!

Any ideas why natd isn't loading from the /etc/rc.conf file (which I
have enclosed at the end of this message)?

I am running 4.6.1-RELEASE-p10.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Josh Levine

My /etc/rc.conf:

gateway_enable="YES"
network_interfaces="ed0 rl0 lo0"
hostname="jlevine-research"
ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"
ifconfig_rl0="inet 192.168.60.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
linux_enable="YES"
nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
saver="daemon"
sendmail_enable="NO"
sshd_enable="YES"
inetd_enable="NO"
portmap_enable="NO"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="OPEN"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_inteface="ed0"
natd_flags=""
ipmon_enable="YES"          #Firewall logging
ipmon_flags="-Dsn"