Date:      Sat, 1 Aug 2009 10:43:45 -0400
From:      Maxim Khitrov <mkhitrov@gmail.com>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Eirik_=C3=98verby?= <ltning@anduin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Driver for 3ware 9690SA, FreeBSD 8

2009/8/1 Eirik =C3=98verby <ltning@anduin.net>:
> On 19. juli 2009, at 02.47, Maxim Khitrov wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> This is the first time I'm setting up hardware raid under FreeBSD. The
>> card is 3ware 9690SA (twa driver) and I'm running FreeBSD 8.0-BETA2.
>>
>> I'm a bit confused about the driver situation. The twa driver that
>> comes with FreeBSD is at version 3.70.05.001 (listed during boot). I
>> cannot find this version anywhere on the 3ware site. There is,
>> however, a reference to 3.70.05.003 [1], which is from 9.5.1 code set
>> for FreeBSD 7.x. Is there some disconnect between what 3ware releases
>> for FreeBSD and what actually makes it into the source tree? If so, is
>> it a better idea to use the driver that comes with FreeBSD 8 or
>> download the latest source from 3ware and compile that myself (note
>> that FreeBSD 8.x is not listed anywhere, so my guess is to use the 7.x
>> version)?
>>
>> The reason I ask is because I'd like to update the firmware on the
>> controller, but I have no idea what is the latest version that the
>> current driver supports. For that matter, I don't know if the firmware
>> that came with the card is supported, though it appears to be working
>> for now. Basically, I'm just looking for advice on how to deal with
>> drivers that are primarily maintained outside of the FreeBSD source
>> tree.
>>
>> If anyone else is using the same controller, I'd also appreciate any
>> advice on setting up the CLI (my guess is that I should use the
>> sysutils/tw_cli port) and e-mail notifications for things like the
>> loss of a drive.
>>
>> - Max
>>

> Hi,
>
> we use these in all our (I/O-sensitive) servers, and they perform very we=
ll.
> We've upgraded the firmware of all of them to the latest release (as of
> about 2 months ago), though I'm not sure if that was done from FreeBSD or=
 in
> other systems prior to installation.
>
> We use the 3dm package to manage the boards; it's available in ports or
> through pkg_add -r 3dm . It's a version of the web-based management tool
> from 3ware; however it's an old version, and I haven't been able to extra=
ct
> the current version from the installation package provided by 3ware (plus=
,
> it requires Java, but so does other software we use).
>
> /Eirik

I got everything working using the 3ware 9.5.2 code set. Firmware
update was performed through dos, though you can also do it from
FreeBSD once you have tw_cli or 3DM2 installed.

For the driver, take twa.tgz file from
packages/drivers/freebsd/src/7.x on the complete 9.5.2 code set CD,
extract it somewhere, then copy all tw_* files to /sys/dev/twa,
overwriting the files already there. The provided Makefile is the same
that is in FreeBSD source tree, so nothing to do with that. To prevent
csup from overwriting the new driver code on the next source update,
create a /var/db/sup/refuse file with a single "src/sys/dev/twa*"
line.

The command-line tw_cli utility can be installed from ports, since
it's the latest version. 3DM2, however, is outdated, so I also
installed this from the code set CD. Simply copy
packages/installers/tools/freebsd/7.x/x86_64/setupFreeBSD7_x64.sh to
your server and run `./setupFreeBSD7_x64.sh -console`. That launches
the 3DM2 installation. At the end of it, the web server will be
listening on localhost:888, default password is 3ware. An rc script is
placed into /etc/rc.d to launch 3DM2 after reboot. There is no need to
have java installed from ports because the installer will use its own
version when another one isn't available.

That's all there is to it, just wanted to provide this overview for
anyone else that may be trying to get the card working. By the way, I
decided to go back to FreeBSD 7.2 instead of 8.0 until there is
official 8.0 support from 3ware.

- Max