Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 21:59:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

[cc list trimmed]

	A newbies mailing list might be a good idea--the question that
arises is who's going to staff it?  It seems Sue has sort of been
drafted....I think it will be a fairly demanding project.

	Here are a few points I would make:

		1) It would be interesting to know what difficulties
people run into with the current methods of documentation/help.  To
find out you'd have to a a survey of perhaps a sample of people who
have bought FreeBSD on cdrom from Walnut Creek (this may be the most
comprehensive list), in an effort to find out about the people who
gave up as well as those who succeeded.

		2) FreeBSD-questions has a rather remarkable group of
people answering questions.  Doug White handles lots of stuff (I assume
he's still doing it, although I haven't read questions for a few months);
and in specific areas, people who are especially interested in particular
problems watch for questions that may indicate problems or things they
should cover in the section of the handbook they've written, and so forth.
Brian Sommers (that may be misspelled) handles ppp, Charles Kukulies
(also misspelled, sorry) almost always responds on samba questions, Sean
Kelly watches out for printing problems, and Greg Lehey handles just about
everything....and so forth.  This is world-class help.

		3) There's also the newsgroup--Joerg Wunsch and others.

		4) Finally, there's irc.  On what I think is called EFNet
there's #unixhelp, which is exactly where a lot of newbies need to be--
quite a few of their problems are problems with basic unix skills.  (The
#freebsd channel rarely has anything to do with FreeBSD or unix and is
pretty useless; on the other hand #windows and #windowsnt have some
participants who use FreeBSD and are pretty good.  IRC is of course always
problematic, but when it works, it works very well indeed.)

		I sometimes answer questions on #unixhelp (and ask a few,
too) and it's readily apparent that some people seem to think they have
a right to the time and attention of others without making any effort at
all.  They get slammed around a bit, and I can't say I really find it
unjustified.

		The benefit of irc is that it's interactive, so it's
possible to help people clarify their questions quite quickly.

		5) I'd say the greatest weakness in FreeBSD's outreach
to new users is that the process of getting some basic documents (the
FAQ, the handbook) from the web site or the ftp site or the cdrom and
being able to view them on screen and also print them (or a particular
section) is not clear or obvious.  The freebsd-doc mailing list has
questions every now and then on how to do this with one or another version
of MS DOS/Windows, and certainly these documents should be easy to obtain
and use for people who have not yet installed FreeBSD.  Nevertheless, the
standard answers these people get advise using unix utilities (col -b is
a favorite) that aren't on their dos/win machines.  I actually don't know
what a good answer might be; if I want an up-to-date copy of the FAQ or
the handbook, I get the sources and make it.

Annelise