Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:41:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Usher <jusher71@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Random LSI 9211 / mps issues...

Hello,

I am happy to see that LSI is actually maintaining and publishing a driver for the 9211-8i card (the mps driver).

If you use 8.3-RELEASE, the driver you receive is:

mps0: Firmware: 07.00.00.00, Driver: 13.00.00.00-fbsd

But I see that there is a newer 13.x driver on their website.  However, they only provide a kernel module - which means I would need to remove mps which is nicely compiled into my kernel, and run a module instead.

is there any way to get the newest mps driver code into my kernel, or do I need to revert to a module ?

-----

I also wonder about any kind of drive blink functionality ... support at LSI has conceded that this is either missing or broken - they seemed to think it was a bug in the current driver, but I don't see that it is a function at all.

Is anyone here blinking disks in any way with mps based cards ?  We really like to have some kind of positive ID on disks when we remove them, etc.

If the disk fails completely and the LED is off, I guess that's easy, but if it's still running, a solid LED is indistinguishable from an extremely busy disk, which also looks solid.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks.