Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 1995 21:27:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Sir Ilya Tsymbal <itsymbal@husc.harvard.edu>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem booting w/ati m64

I am having a problem booting from a floppy with ATI PCI Mach64. Kernel
loads, but when it checks for peripherals and such, the monitor goes
blanc or (with another monitor) white lines appear for the rest of
peripherals testing, and when the blue install screen is supposed to come
up, the screen turns green and funny line patterns run through it.
I tried booting with -c flag, but I am not sure of which device is the
monitor - in case i need to change IRQ and memory address.
Dos and Windows work fine with the same card; Windows claims the card has
IRQ 10 and the ATI's install disk claims the card has memory address 2ECh.
I booted with -c and set sc0 device to irq 10 and address 2ec - it
wouldn't accept 2ech.

Is there a way to know these things for sure?

The system boots fine with a different card - all the way to the install
screen. I tried experimenting with different BIOS settings, and also
card settings through the card's install program.

Anyway, If you have any idea, please tell me.

Thank you in advance,

Ilya.

Ilya Tsymbal '96                                      Harvard U, Quincy House.
itsymbal@husc.harvard.edu            http://itsymbal.student.harvard.edu/ilya/