Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 23:12:39 -0400
From:      "James B. Wilkinson" <jimmy@CS.cofc.EDU>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   limited local mirror

I planned to lurk here for a while first, but there's been almost no
activity, so here goes:

I'm using FreeBSD in a lab in a building that has slow Internet
access, so I'm interested in putting a mirror for just the ports
collection in the lab room. The only information I found at the
website that looked germane was about putting up a full mirror using
CVSup. I was sort of hoping to use ftp and not have to learn yet
another bit of sysadmin business this summer. I don't even need the
entire ports collection, but I need ethereal for sure, and that has
about a dozen dependencies, and I don't know how many more ports
*they* will pull in. It could expand to quite a tree. Right now I see
two problems: getting all those files and putting them where they
need to be without having to type thousands of command lines, and
getting my local server onto the list of places where the other
machines will look for the sources (preferably at the head of the
list).

I think you can see my problem. Is there a relatively easy way to
handle this? I apologize if I missed something obvious.

Thanks

Jimmy Wilkinson            | Perfesser of Computer Science
jimmy@cs.CofC.edu          | The College of Charleston
(843) 953-8160             | Charleston      SC        29424

If there is one word to describe me,
that word would have to be "profectionist".
Any form of incompitence is an athema to me.
Metathesis??? Don't ax me.