Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 17:30:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eugene M. Kim" <gene@nttlabs.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Subject:   Re: GPL kills KDE distribution

I strongly second his opinion; one reason FreeBSD had been selected for
the company project I work on was that FreeBSD does not have such
restrictive licensing terms.  GPL-protected platfomrs were not suitable,
because they would demand the product to be ``wide open'' (pronounced
``vulnerable to other companies' reverse engineering'').

A Berkeley-style license recommends the software be shared.

The GPL urges the software be shared.

I like the first idea, which doesn't so choke my throat that I would
starve to death. :-)

(Hmm...  Another catch-phrase?  ``FreeBSD: the corporate-friendly
operating system''  Well never mind *^^*)

Eugene