Date:      Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:14:45 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Gustavo Cevallos <gcevallos@aquasinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Expected too much?

Gustavo Cevallos wrote:

>I downloaded and installed FreeBSD 5.3 on a computer.  I go past the login
>and password stage. Can I go to a full graphics mode? How?
>
>Gustavo A. Cevallos
>AQUAS Inc.
>5480 Wisconsin Av. Suite 210
>Chevy Chase, MD 20815
>Telf. 301 654 4000
>Fax. 301 654 4004

Install a graphical user interface (GUI).  FreeBSD is great
in that it gives you a *choice*  (something they don't believe
in the Pacific NW, apparently) of many different GUI environments,
and you can actually do a lot of work without one (try
that in "command.com" on a stock installation).

As Kris stated, the Handbook is your friend.  I think my
build of the Handbook is fairly recent; in it the chapter
on windowing systems is Chapter 5, but it states that
knowledge of Chapter 4 is a pre-requisite.

Good luck and welcome to FreeBSD, and "tools,
not policy!"  Feel free to write back with your
questions about GUI configuration (there might
be some....)

Kevin Kinsey