Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 17:57:29 -0400
From:      Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: (man page || manpage) => manual page

On Thu, 30 May 2002 00:47:47 +0300
Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> Nice to see someone has taken it upon himself to finish the job I left
> in the middle (by completing only the articles/ part) a while ago.
>
> >        config file with the appropriate entries.  See the
> > -      <samp>stl(4)</samp> man page and the appropriate section of
> > the+      <samp>stl(4)</samp> manual page and the appropriate
> > section of the
>
> When &man.xxx.y; references are being made I prefer the style that
> Jeroen suggested to me a long time ago.  Instead of writing:
>
> 	"see the foo(n) manpage"
>
> You can simply use "see foo(n)", since it should be apparent that this
> is a reference to a manual page.  Repeating in every such place that
> it "is a manual page" is a bit of an overkill.

My point here was NOT to reword things, so that we may be nicer to
the translators...  And then reword them later, but try to get
all instances at the same time...  I feel smacking them all right
now would be best, and then perhaps reword things later.

What do you think?  I agree that ``please review the <blah> manual
page for more options.''  Or ``see blah(1)''

Opinion?

--
Tom (Darklogik) Rhodes
www.FreeBSD.org  -The Power To Serve