Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2012 10:23:45 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com>
Cc:        dinoex@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: png-1.5.11 status?

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 2:21 AM, Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com> wrote:
> What is the current status of newly-released png-1.5.11?
>
> My main concern is having to portupgrade/portmaster all ports that have png as a dependency,
> don't want to have to do this for png-1.5.10 and then a day or two later for png-1.5.11.
>
> Maybe NetBSD pkgsrc promptly updated png to 1.5.11 because they wanted to get it in before the freeze for pkgsrc-2012Q2?

Unless the shareable version number is bumped, there is no need to
re-build dependent ports. Most updates to shareables do not change the
API or ABI, so dependent packages simply pull in the updated shareable
when they load. You should only have to do the mass update once,
whether for 1.5.10 or 1.5.11.

I would suggest using the '-w' option if you use portmaster as the old
shareable was libpng and the new is libpng15. If you keep a copy of
the old one around, many things that have not been re-linked will
still run OK.

Note that when you start re-building stuff, you will certainly hit
cases when you link to a library linked to one libpng and either the
port being installed or another dependency is linked to libpng15. I'm
unsure exactly what impact that might have. It really should have
none, but I am not really sure.

When you are finished re-building (or think that you are), I strongly
recommend running "pkg_libchk -o | grep png" to make sure that nothing
has been missed. pkg_libchk is part of the sysutils/bsdadminscripts
port.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com