Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 12:00:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>, frank@exit.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Numerous hard hangs on TWO different ASUS P4T-E w/P4 1.6G

Terry Lambert wrote:
> If you have NTP enabled, you might try disabling that, as well.  It
> could be something unexpected in the timer code.

Nope.  Killed ntpd, still happenning...

> Another alternative could be to force:
>
> 	kern.timecounter.method: 0
> 	kern.timecounter.hardware: i8254

This is actually the default for my system.

I'm not seeing any stray interrupts, either:

[73]~ >uptime
11:58AM  up 15:41, 5 users, load averages: 2.89, 2.56, 2.36
[74]~ >vmstat -i
interrupt                   total       rate
stray irq7                      1          0
ahc0 irq5                  295768          5
mux irq11                 1499613         26
mux irq10                 7155313        126
fdc0 irq6                       1          0
atkbd0 irq1                 19380          0
psm0 irq12                 630291         11
ppc0 irq7                       1          0
clk irq0                  5645002         99
Total                    15245370        270

I am a tad suspicious of sharing interrupts with the SB Live card, though.
I'm going to next disable the onboard IDE (thought I had already done that,
sigh) and the parallel port to get a few irqs back and try to arrange for
the sound card to use one of them.
--
Frank Mayhar frank@exit.com	http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/