Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 21:53:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mike Ekholm <ekholm@visi.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: first boot problems

tOn Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Mike Ekholm wrote:

> I have just installed a minimal FreeBSD 1.2.1.7 (I did not use 2.2.2
> because I have 48MB of memory)
>
> Any ways, I have winNT on a 1.2 gig IDE HD used as primary master
> I have a IDE Sony CDU-311 as primary slave.
> I have a 250MB HD used as secondary master for FreeBSD (200 MB root
> partation, 50MB swap)
>
> I got it installed ok, I chose to just use the MBR (not booteasy) on the
> primary slave. my hope was to add FreeBSD to the WinNT boot menu. What I
> wanted to do is boot from floppy, and use 'dd' to copy the boot block to
> floppy.
>
> so I was going to boot FreeBSD from the floppy. I got to the boot prompt
> and typed
>
> wd(2,a)/kernel
>
> and I got a infinate loop of this:
>
> D:0X82 C:0 H:0 S:0
>
> What happend?

You're going to run into the 'can't mount root' problem here.

To the bootblocks, wd(2,a)/kernel is the first disk on the second
controller.  Unfortunately, the kernel's wd driver thinks otherwise and
thus you can't start.

Move your FreeBSD disk onto your primary controller and do the following,
then you can move your disk back.

I think I'm going to enlist the help of a friend committer and fix this
once and for all.

 If you get the message:
panic: Cannot mount root

At the end of the probe sequence you should either:
1. Have the line:
config kernel root on wd2

in your kernel config,
OR:

2. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all other
parameters unchanged).

Hope this helps!

BTW, the proper boot string is ``wd(1,a)/kernel''.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo