Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 15:09:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Martin <martin.svensson@mbox302.swipnet.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: start applications

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Martin wrote:

> Hi, i just got FreeBSD. This may sound a little silly, but i just
> installed it and when it starts up it comes up to the prompt, %. And
> wating for me to type a command. It said freebsd is  a ready-to-run
> system. So what command do i use to start the x-windows system. And how
> do i install packages? Where can i get infotmation about the commands to
> use??
>
> Thankyou in advance
>
> /Martin

Martin, a good deal of what you need to know is covered in the guide
for new users at

http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/newuser/newuser.html

also at http://andrsn.stanford.edu/FreeBSD/newuser.html

If you can print it from Netscape, the formatting will be retained.

There's also a postscript copy and an rtf copy on my anon ftp
server, andrsn.stanford.edu, in the pub directory.  The rtf copy
can be viewed and printed from Windows 95 WordPad or Word.

This document doesn't cover the X Window system, but for starting
X, you might try startx.  And the startx man page for what files
startx reads.

It does explain about ports, but the so does the handbook, on your
hard drive in /usr/share/doc if you installed this.

	Annelise