Date:      Tue, 20 May 1997 07:50:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        sohel@southwind.net (Mohammad K Islam)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Soundblaster16 under freebsd!

In a previous message, Mohammad K Islam said:
> Hello,
>
> I have sussesfully installed FreeBsd2.1.5 on my machine(P75 24megs) and also succesfully running
> Xfree86. Now i have just few inquiries/questions regarding building a new kernel to provide sound
> support. I have a soundblaster16 soundcard i have installed under win95 and would like to use it
> under Freebsd to play audioCD.
>
> Here is what i have added to the GENERIC kernel for the sound support.
>
> #Controls all sound devices
>
> controller	snd0
> device sb0	at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
> device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
> device sbmidi0  at isa  port 0x330
> device opl0	at isa? port 0x388
>
> options "SBC_IRQ=5"
>
> BTW Here is the card setup under win95
>
> SETBLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6

Well I don't know what all these options are on the win95 but that
looks reasonable.

> I have added those config lines at the end of GENERIC kernel. Does it matter where i put those
> lines? Somewhere in the midle... end... ? And do i need to put any additional lines for the card?

End is fine.

> I havent compiled the kernel yet and would like some advice/suggestions about the above
> configuration for the sound card.
>
> Also since i am already running X , Would uncommenting the line " options  XSERVER" (Generic
> KERNEL HAVE IT COMMENTED) improve X performance somehow?

Nope. XSERVER is only found in the vt driver not the sc.

> I would greatly appreciate any help/suggestions/comments/pointers on these matters.

Well, if your nervous about building a kernel, and don't mind taking the
time, go ahead and build with just the addition. However, you'll want to
delete devices that you don't have. Read the Handbook section.

Oh, when you say you added the SoundBlaster to the end of GENERIC, I hope
you mean you copied GENERIC to a different file and editted it. Don't
change GENERIC you want to leave it as is for reference and emergency.

A couple hints off the top of my head. Don't delete 'device npx0' (math
coprocessor/emulator) or 'options "COMPAT_43"' (BSD 4.3 compatibility).

--
What if we were to get the GoodYear Blimp for WFF convenction 1993?
How expensive or practical would that be?  Think about it!  --Martin Stack