Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 19:57:41 -0600
From:      Kyle Butt <kylebutt@myrealbox.com>
To:        Jeff.Kelly@t-online.de (Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fl=FCgel?=)
Cc:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: upgrade from 4.5 to current fails

At Tue, 23 Apr 2002 23:55:37 +0200,
Christian Fl=FCgel wrote:
>=20
> Hello Folks.
>=20
> I currently try to upgrade from 4.5 STABLE to CURRENT.
>=20
> I have cvsuped my source and already made buildworld and buildkernel.
>=20
> But installworld failed with Signal 12 while installing chpass.
> When I try to remove chpass from hand I get a "operation not permitted"
> error. Apparently the immutable flag prevents the file from being deleted.
> Which is strange because the securelevel should be 0 when I'm in single u=
ser
> mode. So I should be able to change the immutable flag.

=46rom UPDATING:=20

	To upgrade from 4.x-stable to current
	-------------------------------------
	make buildworld
	make buildkernel KERNCONF=3DYOUR_KERNEL_HERE
	cp src/sys/${MACHINE_ARCH}/conf/GENERIC.hints /boot/device.hints [2]
	make installkernel KERNCONF=3DYOUR_KERNEL_HERE
	reboot in single user [3]
	make installworld
	mergemaster		[4]
	[1]
	<reboot>

Did you do this? IIRC, Sig 12 is unimplemented syscall, which would occur
when userland and the kernel are out of sync.