Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 1995 07:51:07 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: another 2.0.5 installation report

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> > It's an IDE translation, btw.
>
> I guess the question here is "how is FreeBSD supposed to know the BIOS
> translation being used so that it can enforce the right behaviour".  The
> answer is "it can't unless it does it's own I/O via the BIOS instead of
> a protected mode driver -- it can only guess".

No, it does this part totally right.  The only translation happens
inside the disk, any geometry data as seen outside the disk are
consistent (BIOS, Linux, FreeBSD, nonexistent DOS).  The notebook is
several years old, it does not have any mystics here.

Terry, this is _not_ a geometry problem...

> I don't recognize the term "compatability slice".  I assume you mean

Yeah, that's your (and sysinstall's) problem.

> that it newfs'ed the DOS slice or something?  The above linear search
> and disklabel timestamp would mostly fix this case, though you would
> potentially be screwed on a reinstall.

It refers to the `shortcut' device names:

sliced name for the root device:  wd0s2a
sliced name for my intented swap: wd0s3b
compat name:                      wd0a
(no compat name for swap available, it's not on the compat slice)

The first slice with ID 0xa5 becomes the `compat slice', and our
current boot code can only load from there (so the root file system
will always be mounted from the compat slice).  Sysinstall apparently
knows this and wants to tell me that i could not place my root file
system on wd0s3a (since there has been a FreeBSD wd0s2 slice).
Anyway, it got its decision wrong, it did it based on the order of the
tracks on the disk, instead of the order in the fdisk slots.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/