Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 2009 10:17:31 +0800
From:      Fbsd1 <fbsd1@a1poweruser.com>
To:        Mark Wallbank <mrkwllbnk@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install from a USB Pen

Mark Wallbank wrote:
> OK I know this has probably been done to death by know and I keep
> hitting the same problems with the methods I have tried to find on
> google and I know I could just sacrifice a laptop and do a build to
> create the image or do a net (pxe) install from another NIX serverbut
> it does seem to be a bit over the top. Does any body know of an easy
> way to create a bootable USB install media for 7.2 using either linux
> or vista (or using an option from the install dvd). I have tried some
> of the tricks from openBSD and linux to no avail.
> Any help appreciated...
> Cheers
> Mark

If your asking how to put the cd1 install contents onto a usb stick and
use the sysinstall program to perform the install on the target box then
check the archive.
It has a post with a script to convert the cd1 install disk to usb
stick. But the show stopper is the sysinstall program does not have
option for usb stick as install source. There was a bug report submitted
2 years ago pointing out this oversight, but as of 7.2 it has not been
corrected.
If you think the sysinstall program should have install source option
for usb stick them file your own bug report. The more people who file
bug reports the more attention this problem will get from the developers.