Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 1995 19:22:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        dgaudet@cs.ubc.ca, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [to Install people] Re: comments on an attempted install

> Ok, so Who is doing the new install....?
Jordan, Poul-Henning and a cast of several...

> 1/	Bindist is FAR too big, and should be broken down to
> 	a Base, Net, Devel, and Extended set.
> 	I will say however that it's AMAZING how usable the system is
> 	after installing just the second floppy..
No plans presently.  Easy to do, but consensus on core against at last
poll.

> 2/	Boot floppy wouldn't work with remmapped bios..
> 	not sure where we should look for that.. I don't understand
> 	the remapping very well.
> 	It is possible that FBSD could use the remapped geometry
> 	if you'd just typed it in at teh right time.. {?}
We hope to bag this one for 2.1.  PHK is working on it.  "Ontrack"
seems to work, has yet to confirm IBM bioses and others that remap
on their own.

> 3/	we need to be able to create other partition types.
no.  It may be handy to be able to, but we don't >need< it.

> 4/ 	The disklabel part of the install is totally cryptic
> 	and you have to know exactly what the program is doing before you
> 	have a prayer of running it.. e.g. write disklabel before assign.
being totally rewritten.  GUI part is with Jordan.

> 5/	disklabel had old info from before teh new fdisk
> 	(I understand how this happens, but we should look at how to
> 	fix that when we re-write the MBD...(invalidate the label?))
hopefully fixed for 2.1.

> 6/	It should be possible to proceed without re-disklabelling
> 	your disks DAMMIT!
> 	I understand that you may need to 'assign' them again as this info
> 	is not written to disk yet.
it is.  Pilot error.  I do this all the time.

> 7/	In the initial install boot, the -c option should be COMPULSORY
> 	or at least better publisised (It is, but not well)
Hmmm maybe.

> 13/	Slice code is pooly documented .. docs still refer to disklabel for
> 	DOS partitions.
In the works these days.

> > in a disklabel.  This seems like a really arbitrary restriction to me.
> > Isn't /dev/wd0s2 the second slice on disk 0?
> No, wd0s1 is..... 0,1,2,3 right?

No wd0s[1-4], wd0s0 is "compatibility slice" ie first type 0xa5 found,
slice 5... are dos extended slices.

--
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@login.dknet.dk> -- TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
'All relevant people are pertinent' && 'All rude people are impertinent'