Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:36:01 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RANDOMDEV inspired realitycheck regarding i386/i486...

In message <XFMail.001114100929.jhb@FreeBSD.org> John Baldwin writes:
: What is the current processor of choice for embedded stuff?  Is x86 even a
: good architecture for embedded work?  That is the only place that I would see
: the 386 still being alive...

Timing Solutions has several 486 based machines.  There are very few
386 machines out there still in the SBC arena, but I understand that
the 386EX is still alive and kicking in the "put a cpu on the board"
market.

The random device seeding issue is still a problem.  It must complete
in << 10 s on slow hardware and << 1s on fast hardware.  Mark Murray
and I talked about this at BSDcon and he indicated to me that he'll be
fixing the speed aspect of it soon, or at least in the fullness of time.

Warner