Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:45:05 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        chet@po.CWRU.Edu
Cc:        kris@obsecurity.org, alane@geeksrus.net, sroberts@dsl.pipex.com, m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portupgrade of bash-2.05b_1 failing now for second day

--KjX7LgAomYr70Ka9

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 10:18:59AM -0400, Chet Ramey wrote:
> > Just add a more appropriate MASTER_SITE..we can't do much about broken
> > FTP sites.
>=20
> Excuse me?  How exactly does ftp.cwru.edu's policy of asking for ident
> information make it a `broken FTP site'?  The ftp server is waiting for
> a response to its ident request, and fetch times out.

Apparently, there are people whose computers are located in environments
with either corporate or ISP or some other kind of policy, which has
disabled incoming ident connections without sending back a RST.  I can
think of several companies with this kind of firewall (and yes, I have
tried to persuade them to just send a RST back, and no, they did not
listen).  From the discussion in this thread in the ports@FreeBSD.org
list it is apparent that there are some ISP's that do this
transparently, without informing their users and without giving them the
option of doing anything about it :(

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
This sentence would be seven words long if it were six words shorter.

--KjX7LgAomYr70Ka9

--KjX7LgAomYr70Ka9--