Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 2009 22:42:12 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Marius_N=FCnnerich?= <marius@nuenneri.ch>
To:        peter@peterpieczora.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 8.0 system freeze

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 17:22, Peter Pieczora <peter@peterpieczora.com> wrot=
e:
> Hi,
>
> I recently upgraded from 7.2-STABLE to 8.0-RELEASE, and I'm encountering
> frequent system freezes (hang ups), which end in a reboot.
>
> There is no indication of any panic, no messages are generated and no cor=
> dump files (sysctl kern.coredump=3D1).
>
> System runs on IBM T43 with intel wireless chipset, iwi modules are loade=
> during boot via /boot/loader.conf.
>
> legal.intel_iwi.license_ack=3D1
> if_iwi_load=3D"YES"
> wlan_load=3D"YES"
> firmware_load=3D"YES"
> iwi_bss_load=3D"YES"
> iwi_ibss_load=3D"YES"
> iwi_monitor_load=3D"YES
>
> Typically msg. look something like that or similar (iwi0 line gets repeat=
ed
> twice or 3 times):
>
> Dec =A01 22:02:12 local kernel: wlan0: link state changed to DOWN
> Dec =A01 22:02:19 local kernel: wlan0: link state changed to UP
> Dec =A01 22:02:19 local kernel: iwi0: need multicast update callback
> Dec =A01 22:02:30 local kernel: wlan0: link state changed to DOWN
> Dec =A01 22:04:14 local syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> ATM I am at work using bge0 interface and system runs without freezing so=
 far.
> Could this situation be attributed to iwi driver or maybe wlandev?

I see similar behaviour. stable/8 before the release worked normal.
Since a few days I have apps segfaulting frequently (firefox, pidgin,
mplayer, ...) and have freezes. I configured Kernel debugging and
added a dumpdev but had no luck in getting a dump so far only freezes.
I let the system run frozen for more then five minutes to see if it's
just dumping in the background (I think one cannot see that while in
X). One time the system froze while loading vboxdrv, another time when
I started mplayer. But it happens on other occasions too.