Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 1996 13:58:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        Rashid Karimov <rashid@rk.ios.com>
Cc:        Mike Coffey & Yvonne Shevnin <mikec@mediacity.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shareware UNIX/SQL database??

On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, Rashid Karimov wrote:

> > Hello FreeBSDers:
> >
> > Do you guys know of a shareware (or cheap) UNIX/SQL database?
> > Just something to start an inexpensive system with that could be replaced
> > later with Informix, etc.  File sizes would be small and performance will
> > not initially be an issue.
> >
> > The use would be for a small web database application.  Are any of you
> > guys building Intranets yet?  Live in the South Bay?  Interested in web
> > database app/Intranet work?
>
> 	You can try Postgres95 or mSQL. The later one
> 	is very light and implements only small subset
> 	of SQL , the former one is much more powerful
> 	and extensible.
> 	The only problem with the first one is that
> 	to my knowledge all development on it was canceled
> 	( grant issue).

	Nope, development still goes on, with a new release having come out
less then a month ago, and two PATCHES to that release since then.  The
mailing list for it is relatively active.

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 scrappy@ki.net  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc