Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:10:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KVA size changes in 3.1-stable

:We have been experiencing some problems with a 3.1-stable machine with 192M
:of RAM and 900M swap.  The crashes seem to be related to NFS, but it is
:very eratic (oh, did I mention maxusers is 320?).  Needless to say, we
:think the problem may be the KVA problem that has walked arround here abit
:lately.  I have the patches from Tor Egge.  I noticed that some of the
:patches are optional.  For example, we don't need to make a change to pmap.h
:since we can do the same with 'options "NKPDE=126"'.  However there are also
:changes to the kernel's load address (0xf0100000 -> 0xe0100000).  Are these
:changes mandatory as well?  (I am assuming they are, but we don't want to make
:changes to source files that CVS is going to blast.).
:
:--
:David Cross

    Before you get into that mess with -stable, I suggest reducing your
    'maxusers' kernel config to 128 or less.

    If it is already 128 or less, then the KVA problem is unlikely to be
    the cause of your problem. Certainly if your maxusers is 64 or less,
    the KVA problem can't be the cause of your problem.  ( Also presuming
    you are using the default and not overriding NMBCLUSTERS and NBUFS,
    etc...).

    The first thing you do when you get a problem is try to rule things
    out.  Patching comes later.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>