Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 19:45:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding soundcards to newpcm

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> Doug Rabson wrote:
> >
> > > Well, I finally decided to try to get my sound card working again.
> > > It is not detected as a PNP device, but rather as a motherboard
> > > resource using PNPBIOS. It is supposed to be an ESS1869 and, indeed,
> > > I use ESS drivers on Windows. But Compaq obviously decided to lay
> > > it's fingerprints on the poor thing. Here is the (relavant parts of)
> > > dmesg:
> >
> > Use this program. It translates to/from EISAIDs.
>
> Well, I got farther, but no luck yet. The device is identified, but
> incorrectly:
>
> pcm0: <ESS1888> at port 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1 on isa0

That is from a driver which I added mainly for alphas. I might disable
this for x86 or modify it to coexist with PNPBIOS. Stick a 'return' in
es1888_identify in sys/dev/pcm/isa/es1888.c.

> it still shows up in the PNPBIOS information,  though:
>
> unknown: <CPQb0ac> can't assign resources

This is because the ES1888 device is holding the resources. Also the
driver needs CPQb0ac adding to its list of IDs.

> Finally, cat sndstat shows yet another thing:
>
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Nov 17 1999 19:30:14
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <ESS1868 rev 11> at io 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 (1/1 channels)

This I also know about. I might add a workaround for this. Basically the
description is changed after the device was printed.

> Also, I have a warning showing up:
>
> WARNING: "pca" is usurping "pca"'s cdevsw[]
>
> (yes, I have pca in my kernel)

Nothing to do with me :-)

> When I try to output something to dsp or audio, it just blocks
> without doing anything. Mixer *apparently* works. I can't hear
> anything, but at least it sets and retrieves values.

Hmm. The ess driver works nicely with the ESS1888 in my alpha box.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com