Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 1996 20:20:52 +0400 (MSD)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (Andrey A. Chernov) <ache@nagual.ru>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automatic ports Makefile generator?

> > grumble $ makeport
> > Makeport - 0.1-ALPHA
> > what is the name of your port? hello-1.3
> > directory hello-1.3 found OK
> > file hello-1.3.tar.gz found OK
> > untarrring hello-1.3.tar.gz............OK
> > creating diff.....OK
> > removing original sources.
> >
> > Q&A Time!
> >
> > Does your port need GNU make? n
> > Does your port need imake? n
> > Does your port have its own "configure" script? y
>
> That sounds pretty reasonable, though again I'd caution you against
> making `makeport' a monolithic utility which "knows" which questions
> to ask and rather design it as a fairly intelligent "ports variable
> description file" and a library of functions for dealing with it.
> Then you can write this Q&A sequence as a series of questions, as you
> show above, or you can later migrate to some much fancier Tk based
> thingie.
>
> 					Jordan

Jordan, don't be so optimistic... As many ports maintainer I can say,
that only basic Makefile template can be autogenerated a bit,
patch/configure/script tweaks are real pain in the ass.
But... Generating basic Makefile template is void, in real practice
I just simple copy another Makefile...

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nagual.ru>