Date:      Mon, 04 May 1998 12:01:29 -0500
From:      "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
To:        Irving Popovetsky <irvingp@puck.nether.net>, Peter Schwenk <schwenk@voicenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: remote xdm problems

Have you looked at the debug option for xdm??

 -debug debug_level

              Specifies  the  numeric  value  for the DisplayMan-

              ager.debugLevel resource.  A non-zero value  causes

              xdm  to  print  lots of debugging statements to the

              terminal; it also disables the  DisplayManager.dae-

              monMode resource, forcing xdm to run synchronously.

              To interpret these debugging messages,  a  copy  of

              the  source code for xdm is almost a necessity.  No

              attempt has been made to rationalize or standardize

              the output.

At 08:28 PM 5/3/98 -0400, Irving Popovetsky wrote:

>Okay, I removed it from /etc/ttys,  and moved it over into /etc/rc.local

>(per the FAQ entry that I just found).

>for testing purposes, I even booted my NT box into FreeBSD-current  (about

>a month-old build.... but it does SMP just fine)  and tried running

>/usr/X11R6/bin/X -query watchtower    (watchtower being my 486).

>It did the same thing.  the session died after a minute, just as

>predicted, and immediatly the xdm logon screen popped back up.

>I dont understand why it starts up just fine, and then dies after a while.

>what could be going wrong?

>-Irving

>Peter Schwenk dared to say:

>> Irving:

>> I've read that it's not a good idea to start xdm in the /etc/ttys file.  I

>> start mine with a script in /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d.  There is a setting,

>> local_startup, in the /etc/rc.conf file that lists this directory as one of

>> the directory that the bootup scripts search in for local startup scripts.  I

>> don't know if moving the startup of xdm out of /etc/ttys will help you or

>> not, but I figured I'd add this tidbit.

>> Irving Popovetsky wrote:

>> > Howdy,

>> >         At home,  I have networked together my a 486 with 32 megs of ram

>> > running FreeBSD-stable, which doesnt do anything but run PPP and ipfw to

>> > my NT box.   I got the idea to set up my NT box with eXceed(from

>> > hummingbird communications), which is arguably the best commercial

>> > X-server package available for windows, to run an xdm query over to the

>> > FreeBSD box.

>> > well, everything works great and dandy.... except for one problem.  the

>> > xsession dies after about a minute or two .... usually without even an

>> > error message.   I have tried with different wm's, everything from fvwm to

>> > afterstep to kde ..... and I tried messing with the SYSV stuff  (SHM, etc)

>> > ....  but that makes it die even faster sometimes.

>> > at first I suspected the NT machine to be at fault (naturally :),  so I

>> > tried different X servers  (but only x-win40 from starnet communications

>> > did xdm queries) ... but I managed to replicate the problem, so I'm

>> > wondering if the FreeBSD box is doing something funny.

>> > note:  xdm is being started from /etc/ttys, like it is in the standard

>> > install:

>> > ttyv7   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure

>> > any suggestions?

>> > Thanks a million,

>> > --

>> > -Irving Popovetsky

>> >  ANS Communications - BigDial Operations Assistant

>> >  Pioneer High School - Webmaster    http://pioneer.citi.umich.edu

>> >  grok: /grok/, var. /grohk/ vt. [from the novel "Stranger in a Strange

>> > Land", by Robert A. Heinlein, where it is a Martian word meaning literally

>> > `to drink' and metaphorically `to be one with'] The emphatic form is `grok

>> > in fullness'. 1. To understand, usually in a global sense. Connotes

>> > intimate and exhaustive knowledge.

> [...]

<smaller>The beer is too cold, the daiquiris too fruitful, there's no
place like home!

Jimmy Buffett "The weather is here, Wish you were beautiful"

Jon Lyons

parrothd@midwest.net

87 HONDA VFR700

http://cplkagan.dyn.ml.org/</smaller>;