Date:      Sun, 02 Dec 2018 09:50:21 -0700
From:      JD <jd1008@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fresh Installation Of FreeBSD 11.2--Mate Not Working Properly

On 12/02/2018 09:26 AM, B J wrote:
> Yesterday, I wanted to upgrade one of my machines to 12.0-RC3 and
> ended up trashing my system.
>
> I tried several times to re-install 11.0 (upgrading to 11.2 afterward)
> with Mate and Slim and I couldn't get the desktop to work properly.
> The best I could do is to log on through Slim, even after I made a
> fresh installation of 11.2 directly.  I get the Mate desktop but none
> of the utilities (such as Mate Terminal) in the menu bar work.
>
> I don't know what to do next.  I'm wondering if something's not set up
> properly, but I don't think I missed any of the steps.
>
> One possibility is to swap the HD as it's over 10 years old.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thank you.
>
> B. M. Jatzeck
I had had a similar problem on one of my linux machines ....
I found the home directory contained mate related config
files that were causing some similar problems to what you
are experiencing. I even hat to rename my .profile to something
else in order to be sure it was not doing settings that were
breaking mate.
So, you might want to try to remove or rename the mate and gnome config
files from the home dir and retry.

Cheers,

jd