Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 14:07:50 +0100 (CET)
From:      stephane@lituus.fr
To:        Studded@san.rr.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Things I'd like to see in 2.2.6

On 20 Feb, Studded wrote:

> AfterStep is in version 1.4, and our 1.0 dates back to last May. The
> newer version is a lot more stable and feature rich. It does however
> take some hacking to get it built on FreeBSD since several of the
> modules are linux-specific. They are looking for someone to help with
> FreeBSD integration, so if anyone is looking for a project, this might
> be a good one. I imagine that there are more ports to look at, but these
> two I use so they are of more interest to me. :)

You can compile and use Afterstep 1.4 with FreeBSD except the
applications which come with it. In fact, those applications
are completely optional.

Follow those rules :

	- fetch Afterstep 1.4 on ftp.afterstep.org
	- extract the archive
	- cd to the Afterstep directory
	- ./configure ; xmkmf; make Makefiles
	- Edit the top Makefile and remove all the applications
	("apps/...") from the "ALLSUBDIRS" section.
	- make
	- su root -c "make install ; make install.man"
	- cp -R ./GNUstep ~/
	- edit your ~/.xinitrc to run afterstep
	- go for a new exciting look :)

Hope this helps. Stephane Legrand.

//
// Do you want a real, free OS : go to http://www.freebsd.org/
// And stop using Micro$oft softwares NOW !