Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:48:01 -0800
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash@bigfoot.com>
To:        "Paul C. Boyle" <paulcb_mcse@yahoo.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GUI  question.

begin  Somewhere around 0:33 on March 01, 2002, Paul wrote:
> I just want to get an idea of what people are using for a desktop GUI.
> Myself I prefer KDE. I have had it since the beta came with SUSE 5.2.
> That was also my first crack at #nix's.

> This posting is mainly directed to the OLDIES.
> There is only a NEWBIE list so I am posting here.
> Do you use FreeBSD as a desktop workstation or do you still clean
> windows. Does FreeBSD do everything you need for a workstation?

At home, I only have a piddly little P-166 laptop running Windows 98SE.
Has done everything I need it to do for the past 3 years, and hasn't
failed me yet.  I've tried various Linux and BSD releases on it, but
couldn't find a driver for my Winmodem and Trident vid card (at the
time, all I had was dial-up).

At work, I haven't used a Windows desktop for close to two years.  My
main workstation is FreeBSD (started at 4.2, now running 4.5) running
XFree 3.x.  I started with GNOME but it didn't look or feel right to me.
 Didn't feel complete for some reason.  Moved to KDE when 2.0 was
released and stayed with it until 2.2.x.  Then I found IceWM.  Provides
everything I need in a window manager, which is a nice taskbar, an
application menu, and lots of keyboard control.

I'm currently experimentting with BlackBox.

I really like the apps that come with KDE 2, and use those in IceWM.

Cheers,
Freddie			PhoenixTek Consulting
fcash@bigfoot.com	Unix / Networking Services
			(250) 314-4029