Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2017 12:11:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The ports@ list is now subscriber-post only

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com> writes:
>> Why only the freebsd-ports mailing list and no others?
>> Other FreeBSD mailing lists get spam, and I thought freebsd-questions was
>> the biggest target for spam.

Why? 1) lack of volunteers with sufficent mailman and/or spam-filtering
experience, 2) lack of list admins with mailman moderation experience,
3) failure to accept experienced postmaster volunteers, and last but not
least 4) lack of list management policies based on best practice.

> However -questions isn't one of them, because you can't ask
> someone to subscribe to a list before asking for tech support.

We shouldn't need to subscribe to post to -questions, agreed 100%,
however, it takes very little skill or time to moderate posts from
unsubscribed and recently-subscribed posters.  Then again it also takes
little time or effort to configure postfix to score and hold the obvious
spam that continues to get forwarded to freebsd lists.  At least making
-ports subscriber-only is a small indication that someone on the
postmaster team recognizes there is an issue here.

IME,
Roger Marquis